(BPT) - Wondering how to spend a floating holiday? Richmond, Virginia, has you covered. For a quick getaway, Richmond Region Tourism offers ready-made itineraries for four 'floating holidays,' featuring great activities to please just about anyone.
"Richmond visitors deserve to celebrate special days personalized for them," said Tom Loftus, vice president of marketing, Richmond Region Tourism. "Visit the Richmond Region to celebrate these new holidays and discover why our diverse, welcoming region is no longer flying under the radar."
Here are four fun floating holidays worth celebrating.
1. Seniors Skip Day: Have a day off work or taking a break from grandparent duty? This floating holiday for traveling seniors offers a twist on the high school tradition of skipping class. This time, the other seniors can enjoy a day or two free from responsibilities.
- Enjoy breakfast at 521 Biscuits & Waffles in Richmond, then hike the trail at the Dutch Gap Conservation Area while seeking bald eagles and other birds around the Great Blue Heron Rookery.
- Travel back in time to the earliest colonies at Henricus Historical Park in Chesterfield, then rent bikes at Basket & Bike or Kul Wheels to ride the Virginia Capital Trail.
- Lunch at The Original Ronnie's BBQ in eastern Henrico, then relax with sips and scenery at Jolene Family Winery in New Kent.
- For evening entertainment, head to Hanover Tavern for a unique dining experience and live theater.
- Have an extra day? View beautiful landscapes at Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden, practice your putts at Belmont Golf Course and visit one of the area's nationally known museums.
2. Gotcha Dog Day: Celebrate your 'Gotcha Dog' anniversary with your four-legged friend in the Richmond Region, also known as RVA. The area boasts pet-friendly venues including hotels, restaurants, breweries, trails and parks - ensuring that your pet's visit will be as enjoyable as yours.
- Stretch your legs at Floodwall Park, over the T. Tyler Potterfield Bridge to Brown's Island, where you can pause for a water break and game of fetch.
- For lunch, try pet-friendly Q Barbeque in Glen Allen, then explore pet-friendly area parks, like Chester Dog Park or Hanover Dog Park.
- Ready for relaxation? Visit the patio at Max's on Broad, a spacious Belgian eatery in Richmond's arts district.
- Complete your day with your pup at Ruff Canine Club, Richmond's first dog bar(k). Membership is required, so go online and sign up before your trip!
Share your pet's favorite moments from "Gotcha Day" on social media! #GotchaDayRVA #VisitRichmond
3. Get a Grip Day: Everyone deserves time to get a grip, regain their balance and focus on the road ahead. Get a Grip Day takes this wisdom literally as a day for cycling through RVA destinations on trails for every skill level, from beginner to seasoned pro. No bike? No problem! You can find several places offering rentals from traditional bikes to state-of-the-art electric models. Richmond parks provide over 20 miles of true singletrack, and local parks in the area offer multi-use and bike-only trails to help you cycle your way to better balance.
- Breakfast at Perly's Delicatessen before exploring over 13 miles of trails along the James River, then cool down with a short loop on part of the historic 52-mile paved Virginia Capital Trail.
- Need to refuel? Taste the flavor of RVA with an authentic southern lunch of fried catfish at Mama J's Kitchen.
- Ready for more? Take a short drive south to Pocahontas State Park to access 40 miles of trails for any skill level.
- Unwind with a cold brew at Steam Bell Beer Works, then treat yourself to an incredible, locally sourced meal at Shagbark or another one of the area's 900+ restaurants.
4. Feast of the 7 Beers: Over 30 craft breweries provide opportunities for this tasty spin on the traditional "Feast of the 7 Fishes." Sample the beers as you explore RVA over a long weekend, using a ride service or designated driver for a fun, safe celebration.
Day one -
- Beer 1: Choose from 28 self-pour taps dedicated to craft beer at Downpour Taproom in Chesterfield.
- Beer 2: Venture to Ashland, where everything revolves around beer at Center of the Universe Brewing Co.
- Beer 3: Visit Final Gravity Brewing Co. in the Lakeside area of Richmond, then grab a late-night bite at Pizza and Beer of Richmond.
Day two -
- Beer 4: Quench your thirst at Dancing Kilt Brewery in Chester with a beer from their Fractured Fairy Tale collection.
- Beer 5: Your quest continues at Legend Brewing Co. in Richmond's Manchester area, featuring one of the best views of the city.
- Beer 6: Find a comfy porch seat with a vineyard view for a drink at New Kent Winery & Talleysville Brewing Company.
- Beer 7: Head back to Richmond's popular Hardywood Park Craft Brewery to enjoy entertainment along with your refreshment.
Intrigued by the possibilities? Plan your floating holidays at VisitRichmondVA.com.